The primary purpose of redevelopment is to make housing more comfortable. How can I not make a mistake when changing a room’s layout or creating it at the construction stage?
Let’s start with the taboo.
What you should never do during a redevelopment
- Demolish load-bearing walls-pylons.
- Carry out works that make it challenging to access engineering communications (water supply, heating, Sewerage).
Yes, there are only 2 points, but how often they are violated!
How to make a proper redevelopment
We made a list in which we describe in detail what should be in the apartment. For example:
- apartment living or for a rare stay,
- how many people will live in the apartment,
- how many isolated rooms should there be,
- size room,
- bathroom separate or not,
- will there be a place for your sports equipment
- do I need a household unit and a Laundry room,
- are there any Pets and what needs to be provided in this regard (an aviary, a paw wash, a sleeping place, a place to feed),
- what Hobbies and habits do the owners of the premises have, which is unacceptable.
- We look at the total area of the apartment and the ratio of residential and non-residential premises.
- We allocate functional zones: living room, children’s room, bedroom, office, etc.
- We try to distribute partitions so that the rooms are as spacious as possible and enough natural light.
Based on these needs, the same apartment can be designed entirely differently.
Choosing a planning solution is what you should start with when getting the keys to the apartment. This is an essential part of a design project. At this stage, you need to think through everything carefully, calculate it, and draw it in a literal sense – on paper or in an application on your computer. After all, it will be difficult to redraw the space when the repair is already done – you will have to start all over again, and not everyone will decide to do this.
I usually draw partitions that are being built with chalk on objects. This helps the owners of the apartment to feel the space.
What are the challenges facing the designer when working on a layout and remodeling?
When planning a room, you must take into account a lot of nuances. For example:
- the sofa in the living room will be a sofa with a folding mechanism in case of guests arriving or not
- what will the kitchen be like, and what of the required set of modules should be included in it
- if, for example, the apartment has, according to the plan BTI there are two bathrooms. Still, there are few functional areas and no farm buildings. If there is no bathroom, then it is more rational to sacrifice one bathroom to make a dressing room.
Hall, entrance lobby
Here we have:
- wardrobe (built-in or compartment),
- a pouf, bench, or banquette,
- convenient large mirror with illumination,
it is advisable to provide a place for drying and storing shoes. If the corridor is tight, this area can be “hidden” in a closet. Often in the absence of supporting walls-pylons, the entrance group increases due to adjacent rooms.
Here we place:
- bath or shower area;
- sink not less than 60 cm;
- the toilet is suspended or with a tank. The suspended structure saves space decently and looks lighter and more modern. You can also increase the area of the bathroom by using corridors (if the waterproofing is acceptable);
- we think about access to communications in advance. To make them invisible, a hidden fastener system will help (a secret hatch for the required size);
- if there is a lack of space, the washing machine can be moved to an adjacent room, where water access is not difficult (significant! do not increase the ” wet ” room at the expense of living rooms!).
Loggia and balcony
If we talk about new buildings, it is now quite large premises, five or more m2. Giving such beauty to a warehouse of unnecessary things is not entirely reasonable. Options for everyday use of the loggia/balcony:
- According to all the rules, inspect the balcony/loggia and arrange a small oasis here: a sitting area or workplace.
- Organize a storage system.
- You can attach the loggia to the living room, thereby increasing its area. In this case, only the window sill should be demolished. The radiator can not be removed to another place, so we equip the resulting square meters with warm floors, hang a convector-type heater on the wall.
Like any living room, the children’s room should be far away from the living room and the entrance and, in no case, be a passageway. Often this room combines a bedroom, a game room, and a study area:
- closer to the window, we place a study table, a comfortable chair, and do not forget about adequate lighting
- the game area is designed with a large number of storage systems for toys so that they can be quickly distributed in containers during cleaning;
- the bed is better placed along the wall. If the area of the room is more than 14 m2, you can arrange the sleeping place perpendicular to the long wall;
- do not forget about the wardrobe. It should be roomy and useful when it “grows” with the child.
For a larger area, you can combine it with the kitchen. When placing furniture, adhere to the principle of minimalism – only the most necessary things:
- sofa straight or corner;
- chair 1-2 PCs depending on the area;
- coffee table;
- a storage system – it can be a decorative rack for books, decor, home collections, etc.
From the construction of various podiums, it is better to refuse to avoid falling, especially if there are children in the family.
It is not desirable to move the kitchen to another place in the apartment – it is costly both financially and in terms of time. It makes sense to change the kitchen location relative to communications only if the apartment is located on the first floor or justified by some good reasons. Most often, redevelopment with the transfer of the kitchen is challenging to legalize.
In the kitchen, we must have:
- folding/sliding table for 8-10 persons;
- built-in oven and microwave oven;
- washing machine (if it doesn’t fit in the bathroom).
The height of the countertop: should correspond to your size, optimally-70-90 cm from the floor.
The size of the working surface: for convenience, a range of 90-130 cm is sufficient, provided that it does not have a coffee machine, tureen, etc.
The hood should be given special attention: If you plan to place it far from the ventilation channel, it makes sense to organize forced ventilation.
Of course, ideally, the bedroom should be:
- located as far away from the entrance as possible,
- be isolated, impassable,
- with good natural light.
Often, I am given the task of allocating another living room in the apartment, even if it is small in size, where only a 2-bed bed, bedside tables, or their analogs will be placed.
What is the trick here? Ideally, the bedroom should have a window, but structurally it is not always possible to provide for it. In this case, we select an area in a well-lit node, design a doorway – perhaps it will be sliding partitions with frosted glass so that light will penetrate the room.
It would help if you also thought about the dressing room at the stage of planning the apartment’s internal space. Things with each year in the family usually become more, so allocating space for a dressing room is desirable to do it a little more, with a reserve.
It is also not superfluous to think about the room’s ventilation so that there are no unpleasant odors; mold does not form.
Particular attention should be paid to the correct organization of the storage system. It is better to plan and write down what will be stored there. For example:
- sports equipment,
- a vacuum cleaner,
- Ironing board,
- out-of-season clothing, etc.
In conclusion, I would like to say that the main thing to focus on when redeveloping is that the rooms are spacious and well-lit. Of course, it is possible to cut from 100 m2 5-6 rooms, but it will turn out as in the cartoon about the furrier and the customer, where instead of one hat sewed 12 small ones.
Also, given that you are planning a home where you will live for more than one year or two, engage an interior designer to work on the layout – an experienced specialist will help you create a space in which you will be comfortable and will not be excruciatingly painful for mistakes made in ignorance of the specifics of this area.